Mom's Mighty Macaroni Salad a Tasty Way to Love your Heart
Mom's Mighty Macaroni Salad
Wondering what to fix for lunch or supper that will be healthy, low-cal and still deliver great flavor? Why not whip up a bowl of macaroni salad?
This perennial salad favorite has recently undergone a number of updates and transformations. Today there are lots of ingredients that pair up wonderfully with the macaroni noodles. Imaginative use of new ingredients has been largely responsible for the resurgence of interest in this home-style recipe.
Many people use a macaroni salad recipe to help them stretch their grocery dollars. With a little creativity and some fresh ingredients you can produce a salad that is inexpensive, yet is sure to please everyone at the table.
Obesity has become a major epidemic in today's hurried society. Pre-packaged meals and fast food burgers seem to be on everyone's table at least two or three times a week. For some families it seems an impossibility to compose a quick dish of food that is packed with nutritional goodness.
Here are a few tips to help you make your next family meal a healthy treat that you will really enjoy.
* Use as many fresh ingredients as possible
* There is no need to drown your salad with heavy creams or mayonnaise when other options exist. You can find low-calorie, low-fat versions of salad dressings on the grocery shelves and you might even consider omitting the salad dressing altogether.
* Experiment with salt substitutes and fresh herbs
* Try using low fat ricotta cheese or plain yogurt instead of the mayo
* Garden style pasta contains veggies and is a great alternative to the regular pasta varieties
* Less macaroni and more veggies will result in a ‘heart-healthy' salad
* Cook the pasta about a minute less than the directions state. The al dente texture will produce a better texture that holds up well in this type of recipe.
* Some grocery stores or delis will provide you with freshly made pasta which is far superior to the pre-packaged varieties.
* Experiment with other combination's of flavorful vegetables which may better suit your personal palate.
* If using mayo perhaps you should try the version that uses olive oil as an ingredient. Better for your cardio-vascular health.
Ingredients for Mom's Mighty Macaroni Salad recipe
* 2 cups uncooked Garden style macaroni noodles
* 1 jalapeno pepper (chopped), seeds and ribs removed
* 3 small, fresh cucumbers (chopped; may peel or leave the peeling intact)
* Freshly ground black pepper, season to your personal taste
* 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
* 3 vine-ripe tomatoes, diced
* 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and diced
* ½ teaspoon of salt or use salt substitute
* 1 orange or yellow bell pepper, sliced in thin strips
* Sprinkle of fresh thyme
* 5 green onions, chopped
* salt to taste
* ground black pepper to taste
* chopped lemon mint leaves (optional)
* 1 cup low fat Miracle Whip or other low fat salad spread
* 1 cup frozen peas, freshly thawed and drained
* 1/3 cup 2% milk
Directions for Cooking and Preparing this pasta recipe
1. Boil the macaroni noodles in a large pot of lightly salted water until pasta is al dente. (about 6 minutes should work, but check for level of doneness before removing pot from heat)
2. Pour noodles into a colander, rinse with cool water to stop the cooking process and drain.
3. Add the seasonings, veggies and apple to a large bowl.
4. Mix the low fat milk and salad dressing in a small bowl and whisk until well combined.
5. Now add the salad dressing and pasta into the bowl of veggies and toss lightly until all ingredients are mixed together.
6. Can add more of the seasonings if you wish.
7. Keep refrigerated until mealtime.
Quick Weight Loss
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Weight Loss Tips.